I found this meme in the winter of 2008 and have done the same meme ever since. I usually don’t do these but it is my favorite because it’s not completely dumb. I don’t have to list what’s in my pockets or what I had for supper last Sunday. I will say that this is the first year that I honestly almost can’t remember anything before July. It’s been that kind of year in which a select few events completely overshadowed the rest of the year.
2011, For the Win!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I ran a 5 mile race in May. And I use the term “run” very loosely, of course.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Did I make a resolution? I don’t think I did. And, if I did, it had something to do with #1. Which I did. Loosely.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. My baby niece Jordyn Rose was born in February. And then I got to spend 7 weeks with her while my sister finished the school year. Oh my aching ovaries…
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Thank God. It’s been several years since I’ve had to dig up all the same old feelings regarding mortality and whatnot but I just have this feeling that my luck is about to run out in that department.
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
This is a tough one. 2011 was a year full of blessings. I got just about everything I’ve ever wanted, all in one year. And, having just moved for the 4th time in seven years, I know I don’t need another THING. So let’s just say that I’d like to go on a real family vacation. Colorado…Disney…Michigan U.P. Somewhere. Together.
6. What countries did you visit?
Um, no. None.
7. What date in 2011 will remain etched in your memory and why?
July 23. (See #8 for why)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I returned two separate phone calls. One of them was to a boy. The other was to my current boss/CEO. Both have turned into very successful relationships. This is significant because I have some sort of phone phobia. I don’t answer my phone unless I know who it is AND have something to say and I almost never return calls. I know. I’m working on it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Fat Camp. Okay, it wasn’t a failure and I haven’t gained back a single ounce. Well, I did but then I lost it again. But I have moments of great stress that now make me want to find a treadmill and/or a set of free weights. Not that I act on it. But I know how it feels to sweat it out.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really. I got pneumonia last winter/spring. Twice. But I’ve been mostly healthy and injury free.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I’ve got nothing for this one. I haven’t really bought anything of importance this year. A new wardrobe for work? A sweet cut and color?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Again, I’m going to go with the littles. This fall and winter have brought so many changes to us all. I’m working full-time. I’m with a wonderful man who makes me laugh every day and who loves the girls like they were his own. We moved. The littles will start at a new school in three days. And yet, they are still as flexible and understanding and curious as before. Challenging, yes. But in a great way.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Hmmm…I can’t think of anyone.
14. Where did most of your money go?
First half of the year: Fat Camp, et al. Second half of the year: Childcare
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Adult conversation, daily.
16. What song will remind you of 2011?
“Broken Road” by Rascal Flatts
17. Compared to this time last year are you:
happier or sadder? Much happier
fatter or thinner? About the same. Sadly. And, oddly enough, happily.
richer or poorer? Richer? There’s more money coming in (got a job) but more money going out as well (gas, childcare, meals)
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish we would have gone camping this fall when the weather was so great.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In 2012? I’m going to go with “snowed in”. It appeals to my hermit nature. Barring the storm of the decade, I really want to surprise the girls with a trip to Disney at Christmas.
21. What would cheer you up today?
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes. Yes I did. Madly and deeply.
23. How many one night stands?
24. What was your favorite tv program?
“Castle” without a doubt. Wouldn’t miss it for anything. I also started watching “Weeds” and “Psych”.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I’ve said this before but no. I don’t feel that hating anyone is a good use of my emotional energy.
26. What was the best book you read?
The “In Death” series by J. D. Robb. Gets me every time. I know it’s total fluff but I can’t help myself.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The live music scene in my very own town. I also discovered that I was born with a great ear.
28. What did you want and get?
I get to be the reason that somebody wants to come home every day. It’s all I’ve ever wanted. And I got it.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
“The Muppets”. I know that was the last movie I saw so maybe that was my favorite? I also had a moment going to see the last Harry Potter movie by myself. It was a decade of committment that came to an end.
30. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 36. I don’t think I did anything at all. Did I?
31. What one think would have made your year immeasurably more pleasurable?
This is a hard one because it really was the best year I’ve had in a long, long time. So I’m going to go with “not a damn thing.”
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
The transition between track pants and corporate America. It’s been a difficult transition to be sure.
33. What kept you sane?
Daily conversation and affection from and with an adult. It changed me forever.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy? Again with the fancy. Nathan Fillion, hands down.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The “Occupy” movement.
36. Whom did you miss?
I still miss my Iowa friends. They really are the family I chose. And, even though I am head over heels, I still miss Stephen. But it’s different now in a way I can’t explain because I haven’t figured it out fully yet. I miss him but it’s not like it used to be. I also miss my littles when I’m at work. Some days. Not all days but some days.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson learned in 2011?
Be brave. Return that phone call. Just keep running and finish what you started.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
God blessed the broken road/That led me straight to you/But now I’m just rolling home into my lover’s arms/This much I know is true/That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.
So there you go, 2011. All things considered, it was a pretty good year. You know, as years go. I have high hopes for 2012 and I’m planning the start of all kinds of new things. A new blog is in the works. We are starting new things around our house. I’m, learning to be a proper doggie mama again. Maybe there will be a gym membership or…something else fun? Who knows? I certainly couldn’t predict a year ago the fun and craziness this year would bring.
I am hopeful. I guess that’s a good way to end this.
Thank you one and all.